Are your electricity bills getting higher and higher each year ? Do you feel like you can't do much to reduce your usage ?
With Winter fast approaching in the Southern Hemisphere, everyone tends to use more electricity for heating and lighting as the weather cools and daylight hours disappear.
Take back ( some ) control of your electricity bill with these tips. The POWER is in your hands.
* Doorbell - If you have a plug in doorbell, turn if off at the wall overnight. We do this just before we go to bed and turn it back on again at breakfast time. This stops us being woken up by other doorbells in the area who are on the same frequency. We've changed the frequency a few times but it's amazing how many people have visitors in our area at 3am.
* Landline handsets - If you have multiple plug in phone handsets, turn the extra ones off overnight. They don't need to charge 24 / 7.
* Alarm clock - Switch it over for a battery operated one. You can get travel ones for just a few dollars. They take 1 x AA battery that lasts almost a year.
* Cooking vegetables - Instead of steaming your vegetables in the microwave, use a multi level steamer on the stovetop. I put potato and corn on the cob down the bottom in the water and put beans, broccoli and carrot in the top to steam.
* Power boards - If you have electronics like tvs and dvd players plugged into a power board, turn it off when not in use or at least overnight. I purchased a power board that has a switch to turn everything off at once.