Saturday 26 March 2022

This Week's Frugal Tasks Saturday 26th March 2022

 Autumn is my favourite time of the year.  The weather is mild and we enjoy getting outside to plant veggies for Winter and to get the garden in shape.  My housework tasks are a little easier to complete now that the heat has gone.

Here's how our week looked -

*  Filled 2 slow cookers with pears from our tree,  added apples,  lemon juice,  sugar,  cinnamon and nutmeg to make pear and apple butter.

*  Filled the biscuit jar with homemade ANZAC biscuits.  We have enjoyed them with cups of tea.

*  Gratefully received a squashed loaf of bread from a friend.  Some was used to make dried bread crumbs and the rest was fed to the chickens.

*  Planted carrot,  silverbeet and lettuce seeds in our veggie gardens.

*  Used cut up old socks to tie plants to garden stakes.

*  Picked pears,  beans,  strawberries,  tomatoes,  a zucchini and lots of raspberries from our garden.

*  Fed apple and pear peelings,  weeds,  worms,  bread crusts and a few old grapes to our chickens.

*  Dug up and replanted / repositioned 5 rouge potato plants to make the most of the growing space we have.  They are now growing in two rows which means I can cover with plastic to protect them during the coming colder weather.

*  Darren picked a bunch of roses from the garden.

*  Used my all in one cooker to make a huge pot of soup.  A few months ago I was given a few packs of lamb chops and 2 lamb necks from a friend who was moving.  I used one of the necks in this soup with zucchini,  tomatoes and broccoli from our garden ( the broccoli was last years leftovers in the freezer ) and a few other veggies.  Very delicious and super cheap too.   

*  Darren emptied one of the compost bins and dug it into a veggie garden bed.  Shortly we can plant the broccoli seedlings I've been growing.

Darren picked them from the garden.

We enjoy eating ANZAC biscuits

Cutting up old socks as garden ties.

How did you save money this week ?

8 comments:

  1. Oh Wendy, I have been most excited this week. We had to go into isolation this week as a family. My husband was on his way to work so he turned around and came home via Woolies (stocked up on milk) and the chemist for paracetamol ($1.99 for Panamax). We have had plenty of food and not a single worry at hand. What a blessed relief. I actually just looked in the deep freezer and we have about another week worth of frozen food.

    Our deep freezer is certainly not large but is ample for our needs.

    Have a wonderful week Wendy.

    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good on you for being ready and being able to take this in your stride. I wouldn't wish COVID on anyone. Mum's helpers have had covid over the last few months. Both were larger families and of course they had the virus one after another. As one of them said, "It was good to know Had plenty to keep us fed."

      Delete
  2. Autumn is my favourite time of year too, Wendy. It's perfect weather for gardening and growing veg. I want to plant silverbeet, perpetual spinach and try cherry tomatoes again in pots. Your roses looks so pretty; the colour is gorgeous!
    This week was another very busy one in our household but we kept on doing the things that save us some money here and there:
    * made all our meals at home - chicken fajitas, spaghetti bolognese, sausages and
    salad, chickpea and vegetable curry with rice, green mac 'n cheese
    * made large dish of the green mac 'n' cheese so had leftovers to freeze
    * made rice salad and sweet potato/roasted pear salad for work lunches
    * baked choc chip slice and homemade granola
    * received a batch of pikelets from my lovely mother-in-law
    * bought bananas at the fruit shop for 99c kg
    * got rice cakes and peanut butter on special at the supermarket
    * topped up fuel in car at $2.03perL then used 4c discount offer off that price
    * combined errands to save money on fuel
    * received a pair of near-new sports shoes through our Buy Nothing Group
    * saved the shower warm-up water to use in the washing machine first cycle
    * read a library book
    * knitted some more rows on a shawl I am making for a friend

    Have a lovely week! Enjoy the Autumn weather!
    Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Wendy ,
    Thank you for another great piwt .
    I just list a long comment ,my own fault !. So I will just say thank you for all your posts ,I read every one but don't always feel up to commenting .I will try to comment more often.
    Your roses are beautiful abmnd the Anzac biscuits must have been as yummy as they look .
    I saved money this week by doing my groceries online ,I set myself a limit and pretty much stuck to it .I don't shop instore very often but find I spend more than I planned sometimes because I buy marked down items of things I can't always get online but then I sometimes don't end up using it them all so I have really wasted money .I love buying mark downs I know I will use though but consider them a bonus when I do get them because I rarely giving store .I am choosing to go to our local butcher more and more though .
    Thank you again Wendy.
    Love Barb W

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning Wendy.We are enjoying the lovely weather from our side of the bay also. Made Anzac biscuits as well, a bit 'chewy' this time not crunchy! Did some Christmas shopping from the op shop.could not resist new children's books for $1.00 that retail about $12.00.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always I find your blog posts so inspiring. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and time.

    This week hasn't been as frugal as it could have been. I am still in sticker shock at the amount of money I spend to half fill the car. I am trying, as usual, to not waste food but I do slip up. The main change here is that we are not eating out like we used to. Soup has been made and tonight's dinner was vegetable fritters with bacon. It was amazing how much stuff was used up with these two dishes. I have planned my winter crafting.

    God bless you both and I pray that Darren's job is going well for him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you also use your old socks in creative ways! In my old house, I used my husband's old socks to clean; I chopped up one of my daughter's worn socks to use as a hair tie (it made several very nice ones that I use to pull my hair up when I exercise). Waste not, want not!

    We saved money by staying home a good deal of the time. I used the library (including for requesting two books on foraging via interlibrary loan), shopped from the marked-down produce rack, walked, cooked a lot of simple meals at home, and I'm knitting a blanket out of scrap yarn. :)

    Have a wonderful week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Recipe for ANZAC biscuits, please? This Coloradoan knows what ANZAC is (I once led a tour group of Aussies to the quilt show in Paducah, KY) -- but I have no idea why these 'cookies' are connected with them. Can you help?

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.