As the weather starts to cool off a little, our veggie garden is slowing down in production. We try to freeze as much as we can if we have excess so it can be enjoyed through the Winter months. It won't be long before our veggie seedling will be big enough to plant in the beds for the next season.
Here's how our week looked -
* Fed the compost bins almost every day with kitchen scraps. Darren turns the contents in the compost bins quite often to increase oxygen which helps break things down much quicker.
* Made 11 1/2 jars of raspberry jam using raspberries from our garden. This is my all time favourite jam and the fruit has been very slow to grow this Summer. I've started saving fruit in the freezer for the next batch of jam.
* Did a big baking day of mini whole orange cakes using oranges from the freezer. Some cakes were for a ladies afternoon tea, some for my Mum, Jessica and Megan. Darren and I ate a few fresh ones and the rest went into the freezer for future eating. This is a great way to reduce wastage.
* Made lots of zucchini fritters using zucchinis and potatoes from our garden. We had them for dinner a couple of nights and enough went into the freezer for another 3 meals.
* Refilled the shampoo / conditioner pump bottles and diluted the contents by 1/3.
* Made a couple of bottles of surface spray using cooled boiled water and dishwashing liquid.
* Made 3 1/2 large jars of pear and apple butter in the slow cooker. The pears were from our tree and the apples were gifted to us.
* Blanched and froze corn cobs from our garden.
* Diced 2 kilos of tomatoes from our garden and frozen them in a large snap lock bag to make relish in cooler weather.
* Baked 3 loaves of wholemeal bread with extra goodness.
* Cleaned the inside of my kettle with citric acid. It's amazing how clean it comes up.
* Cleaned the dishwasher with bi carb and vinegar. I also cleaned all the filters. I try to do this at the start of each month.
* Gratefully received a pumpkin, some grapes and spinach from Jessica. Her and her flatmate get a veggie box from the Prahran Market every couple of weeks. On her last visit the stallholder gave them some extras which Jessica passed on to us.
* Picked raspberries, a few strawberries, pears, beans, tomatoes, corn, zucchinis and cucumbers from our garden.
* Saved the shower warm up water, washing machine water and kitchen water to reuse around our home and garden where suitable.
|From the garden|
|Pear and apple butter|
|Mini whole orange cakes|
|Our garden produce|