I'm now counting down the days until Spring planting season arrives. I've already started thinking about what I want to plant, where to plant and how much to plant. The goal will be to grow as much as possible and to make sure no square inch of soil is wasted.
Do you have veggie planting plans ?
Here's what we got up to this week -
* Fed weeds, bread crusts, a few meal leftovers and young blades of grass to the chickens.
* Dug up about 4 kilos of potatoes in our veggie garden about 1 month earlier than planned. The plants were hit by frosts 2 weeks ago and wilted terribly. Although the potatoes were small we are very grateful.
* Made sausage rolls, lemon slice and chocolate brownie for a paid catering job.
* Collected 3 eggs this week from our aging chicken.
* Gratefully received a few cupcakes and some fruit left over from the catering job I went to.
* Darren picked a bunch of roses from the garden when he was pruning the rose bushes. Much better to have them in our home to enjoy than throwing the branches in the bin with the roses still attached.
* Cleaned the kettle with citric acid.
* Saved the shower warm up water and washing machine rinse water. All this water was poured back into the washing machine for each load.
* I found a 3 tiered metal shelf at the local op shop that I can use to cure my handmade soaps. I've been looking in all the department stores and nothing suited the need I had. Would you believe the soap fits perfectly on the shelves. I'll post a photo next week when I 've got it all set up.
* I made a flan of sorts using leftover roast potatoes, pumpkin and one slice of silverside from dinner the night before. I added a few steamed veg, 3 whisked eggs ( with milk and flour added ), poured it over everything in the baking dish and added a little grated cheese to the top. Once it was cooked, Megan and I enjoyed it for dinner and Darren took the rest to work for his dinner the following night. A simple yet very thrifty and tasty meal.
* Gratefully received a box of new glass bottles from my Mum. They will be perfect for making 50 / 50 cordial later in the year to give as presents.
Chicken Flan I used silverside and roast veggies as mentioned above.
50 / 50 Fruit Cordial
|From the garden|
|Leftovers from a catering job|
|Darren picked these for me.|
|' Leftovers ' flan.|