Saturday 18 February 2023

This Week's Frugal Tasks Saturday 18th February 2023

 It's been a busy week for both Darren and I.  Darren had 2 training days plus his usual work at the hospital.  I've had 3 days of cleaning work,  kept our housework up to date and spent time in the garden weeding,  pruning and planting a few flowers.

Here's what else we've been up to -

*  Cleaned both of our large rubbish bins.  I used 1 kettle of boiling water to loosen the gunk down the bottom and a couple of squirts of kitchen detergent.  The outdoor cobweb broom is great to getting into all the corners.  Once I scrubbed all the walls,  I tipped everything out and used 2 large watering cans to rinse them out.  Then I sprayed disinfectant inside and left them to dry in the sun.  Usually I use the hose and much more water.  The watering cans worked so well and no yucky water splashed on me.

*  Picked raspberries,  blackberries,  beans and tomatoes from our garden.

*  I helped cater for a surprise afternoon tea for my Mum.  I baked a chocolate brownie,  ANZACS,  Hoovers Doovers and made up curried egg and lettuce sandwiches.  I had everything already on hand except bread for the Hoovers Doovers.  Store bought bread works better.

*  Collected an egg almost every day.

*  Refilled the shampoo and conditioner bottles in the shower. I also diluted them by about 30% and scraped out the old bottles..  

*  Bought dishwashing liquid in a bulk 3 litre container for $4.99 from Aldi.  It's more concentrated than the cheap Aldi dishwashing liquid I buy so it should last a lot longer.

*  For Valentines Day I cooked a dinner of salmon,  mashed potatoes,  broccoli and and beans.  The veggies came from our garden.  We went to the movies that night to see Titanic in 3D and used a gift voucher for the tickets.  We bought water and snacks from home and just bought an icecream each.

*  Kept the curtains closed all day when it was hot outside.  I didn't need to turn the cooling on until mid to late afternoon.

*  Bought a craft paper roll from Savers for $4.99.  There was a 30m roll of paper included.  I'll be using this as wrapping paper.

*  Watered some of our garden with saved water from the kitchen sink.

*  Framed a rose I kept and dried from Dad's funeral last year.  The green mat in the frame came from my cardmaking supplies.


Kitchen pretties

   

ANZAC biscuits - a family favourite.


Craft paper and holder bargain


The tomatoes are finally ripening


A flower from Dad's funeral

How did you save money this week ?

Have you found any bargains in the op shops lately ?


10 comments:

  1. so glad you are back enjoy reading what you have done in your week to save money and so pleased that Darren has regular work one less thing for you to worry about

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou op shop. It's a real blessing for Darren to be working regular hours at a reasonably well paying job. We will always continue to live frugally no matter what. We love being good stewards of what God gives us.

      Delete
  2. A lovely week Wendy! I really like your pretty cps and saucers! I wish I could give you another couple of hens. Whichever country I look at there seems to be issues with eggs so I think eggs are so valuable. Have a lovely weekend! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for your kind words. We are hoping to get a new garden shed for Darren. Then we will be moving the new chicken coop next to the shed and start using it instead of the old coop. Then we are hoping to get more chickens.

      Delete
  3. Hi Wendy. I love the Hoover Doover name. I didn't know what it was, so I googled it and a post from your blog in 2016 explained it. I will try the recipe. Have a lovely weekend. Barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your kitchen pretties are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Lee Ann. They get used on the odd occasion too.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for all your inspiration. I learn something every time I read your words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your frugal lists always help me to think of ways to save, Wendy. We love ANZAC biscuits too! I do home baking on Sunday mornings ready for the week ahead. Today, I made ANZAC slice, banana cake, mini quiches and a roast veg frittata. The roast veg frittata is one of our meat-free meals and for lunches too this week. Other things to save this week:
    * made big batch of yogurt with sachet I got on special
    * bought 4x gluten free spaghetti pasta that I like for half price
    * bought my preferred toothbrushes on half-price sale
    * had toasted sandwiches and baked beans one night when late home
    * picked garlic chives and spring onion from our garden
    * saved shower warm-up water for washing machine
    * line dried our washing in sun and on the verandah
    (I dry my son's dark blue/grey uniforms on verandah to prevent fading.)
    * borrowed a book from library that I really want to read - free!
    Have a lovely week!
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Wendy
    Am currently at the beach, our first holiday in 3 years, enjoying eating out every day as a treat! It’s funny that the things I enjoy most on holidays are free (apart from the somebody else cooking!) walking on the beach, a quick dip In the ocean, walking along the street looking at shops in the evening, reading a library book at lunchtime.
    Saw an amazing fireworks show on Saturday night from our balcony.
    Nothing much frugal from me this week but thanks for the inspiration. I love the feeling of being inspired & refreshed after a holiday and look forward to doing my best when I get home!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.