Saturday 1 April 2023

This Week's Frugal Tasks Saturday 1st April 2023

Not a thrilling long list of frugal tasks to share with you this week.  I had a few days when I didn't feel well so I took it easy and watched a few movies during the day ( oh such luxury for me ).  We cooked all meals at home ( except 1 lunch ) and used freezer meals on the days when I couldn't cook.

Here's what else we did to save money -

*  Picked raspberries,  pears,  beans and blackberries from our garden.  I also dug up a few potatoes.

*  Darren picked a bunch of hot pink roses from our garden for my bedside table.

*  Used the solar lanterns at night.

*  Saved the washing machine rinse water and shower warm up water.

*  Put all scrap paper and toilet rolls into the kitchen compost bucket.  This is emptied very second day into the big compost bin outside.

*  Fed bread crusts and leftovers to the chickens.

*  Donated a bag of unwanted items to Savers and received another 20% off discount voucher.  I have a few of these vouchers and their expiry is the end of April.  I'll be holding off on donating until May for when the new vouchers come out.

*  Baked 3 loaves of wholemeal bread with extra goodness.

*  Bought sheer curtains on sale at Spotlight.  They had 40% off this week ( sale still going ) and I so desperately needed them for 4 of our windows.  The old curtains were disintegrating and looking dirty..

*  Collected a few eggs from our chicken.

*  We filled up the thermos with boiling water each day and used it to make our cuppas.

*  I found 2 boxes of pulse plus mix in Coles for 50 cents each.  I'll be using them in soups over Winter

    

Roses Darren picked from the garden


Our thermos in use

My 50 cent a box bargain.

How did you save time,  money or energy this week ?


6 comments:

  1. Beautiful roses. You always do well saving money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Wendy. You really show how it is possible to live well and withing your means. You never miss out on anything abundance is always there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done you!! Even when you had a day you were unwell! I was unwell on Tuesday but tried to make up for it the rest of the week. I bought a beef brisket last week (https://pin.it/1Qy9HHM). (7.25K) that had been reduced from $101US ($151.04AU) down to $33US ($49.35).
    I sliced it and then cut it into chunks, added onions, peppers and spicy sauce. Pressure canned it into 16 pint jars of Shredded Chipotle Beef for Tacos that will be an easy convenience meal to open and fill into a tortilla or taco shell! https://pin.it/7G8OHAe

    Then Dave and I continued laying a new brick walkway using over 600 bricks that a friend gave us last fall because they were redoing their back yard! Because of the magnitude of the job and our ages, we are tackling it in 3-5 hour bits and then resting from it for a few days afterwards. But, it’s free and we are loving the look! https://pin.it/6oM0DhI And https://pin.it/1YtrNX0 and https://pin.it/39YtMmC. Still more bricks left but the stacks of them are really going down!

    I’ve also completed making 3 of 10 quilt kits using my fabric stash for a service project involving our church youth next Saturday. Good way to use more of my stash!

    Gardenpat in Ohio



    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother has been in hospital and the week has been expensive week. I have eaten meals from home with the exception of pizza tonight. We are using less electricity I think. Certainly lights are off overnight.

    I amazed at how creative people are at saving money.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to take vitamin B12 and D as per doctors orders and have found that purchasing them at the major supermarkets on special is much cheaper than the cheaper chemist shops. Borrowed the latest magazines and books to read from the library. English magazines are about $12 each if purchased new! Found some brand new children's books at an op shop and put them in my present box. Have a lovely week

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dug through the freezer and found enough beef bones and veg scraps to make a large electric roaster of bone broth. I let it cook on low all day and night. Today I pressure canned 19 pint jars for the pantry.

    Also am selling some laundry soap I don't use. Out of my house and blessing someone else.

    Feeding the cats scraps to help on their feed cost. Gave some out-dated rolled oats to the cattle.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.