Saturday 27 April 2024

This Week's Frugal Tasks Saturday 27th April 2024

It's been another busy week at The Gower Abundant Cottage.  We've started whipping the garden into shape in readiness for Winter.  So far our Autumn has been quite cold and wet so getting into the garden has been challenging.  We still need to pull out old vegetable plants and prune our English Box plants as well as many other shrubs. 

Here's our week of savings and blessings -

*  Darren found a couple of zucchinis hiding in the veg garden.  A few days later I picked another 2.  I'll be using some of them in soups next week.

*  I made a bottle of surface spray for the kitchen using kitchen detergent and cooled boiled water.

*  I made 3 loaves of wholemeal bread with extra goodness.  We eat this as toast for our breakfast every morning with homemade jam.  I also baked wholemeal rolls for Darren's work lunches.

*  I made a big batch of sausage rolls as a special treat.  Oh my goodness  !!!  Hasn't sausage mince gone up in price over the last couple of years ?  I've frozen the sausage rolls and we will be rationing them out over the next couple of months.

*  I filled another 2 bowls of feijoas from our backyard.  One tree is providing very large fruit and the other tree is providing small to medium fruit.

*  I gratefully received 2 ink pads and a few craft supplies from our card making group last Saturday.  I also took my lunch and a morning / afternoon tea to share with the ladies.  We all bring a plate to share and it's wonderful to try everyone's baking.

*  I picked pears,  silverbeet and beans from our garden.  It feels wonderful to pick and cook most of our own veggies for dinner each night. 

*  I gratefully received lemons and passionfruit from a cleaning client.

*  I made 2 meatloaves at the same time to save on our oven use.  Both meatloaves were sliced up and frozen into meal sizes (  2 slices per person ).  There were even a few slices leftover for toasted meatloaf sandwiches.  It's a real treat with lashings of tomato sauce.

*  We used the thermos each day to store boiling water for cuppas.   We charged the solar lanterns on sunny days and used them at night to light up our loungeroom.  We filled the kitchen compost bucket every couple of days and Darren emptied it into the compost bin outside.

LINKS -

Homestyle Meatloaf

Wholemeal Bread With Extra Goodness


Our green harvest day on Wednesday

Homemade sausage rolls

Some of the rolls for Darren


                          The last of the photos from the Melbourne Flower Show







How did you save time,  money or energy this week ?

Did you receive any blessings ?


6 comments:

  1. Thank you for your faithfulness in sharing your life with us over so many years. I often look back to past posts and they give me a range of practical strategies I can apply to live a frugal and happy life. Melanie from NZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I always use regular mince when making sausage mince for sausage rolls.
    Equal weight of mince and stale bread add an onion chopped finely and some mix herbs salt & pepper
    soak stale bread in some water until very mushy - squeeze well and add to the rest of the ingredients
    mix this mixture until very well combined - if you have large piping bag it can be piped onto pastry
    aldi have 500g pork mince quite cheap - can also bulk up with very finely grated carrot & zucchini
    thanks for your posts
    Kath

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your week Wendy!
    The price of everything is going up. It’s crazy! Your home grown produce and bread must help a lot. We are menu planning and being mindful of our spending as usual.
    We are looking at replacing my car soon. I am sure you’re enjoying your brand new car! Have a lovely week. Take care! Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you use your Fejoia garden produce Wendy? Considering buying one, regards Robyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robyn. I eat them as is by cutting them in half and scooping out the flesh. Some people make jam with the feijoas.

      Delete
  5. I was given a teak wood garden set! A friend had to empty her uncle's apartment, and this set had been outside - unused - for 2 years. She tried selling it, but because it didn't look very nice, no-one wanted to buy it. So she gave it to me! I have used the pressure washer and it's already looking miles better. I have cleaned 1 chair with the special product (it smells like amonia does, so I'm guessing it's a major component) and will oil it once it's dry. The set needs a lot of elbow grease, but it saves us around €500.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.