Saturday 18 May 2024

This Week's Frugal Tasks Saturday 18th May 2024

 We had some beautiful Autumn weather this week in Melbourne.  It was lovely to work in the garden  pruning some bushes,  pulling weeds and planting a few cuttings we've grown.  We opened the doors to let a gentle fresh breeze in and the Sun streamed through our windows.

Here's how our week looked -

*  I dug up about 3 kilos of potatoes from our garden.  It was really good timing because I was down to our last couple of potatoes in the pantry.

*  I made chocolate and raspberry muffins with choc chips for a Mother's Day afternoon tea at our place.  Luka and Bryson were here when I made them so they were happy to help with the stirring.  We made plenty for a gift as well as some for our freezer too ( for work morning teas ).

*  I baked ANZAC biscuits to go with a Mother's Day present for my Mum.  I placed them in a cello bag and put them in a decorative tin.  Mum was thrilled with her gift.

*  I used recycled gift bags for Mother's Day presents and gave handmade cards.  Megan even gave the gift bags back so I could reuse them over and over again.

*  I made up a jar of French onion soup mix.   I used 3 of the store bought packets and added onion powder,  onion granules,  parsley,  paprika and garlic to help them stretch further.   

*  The shower cleaner bottle was almost empty so I refilled it using cooled boiled water and dishwashing liquid.

*  The metal button / stud on a pair of my jeans was falling out from where it had been fastened.  So I pulled it off and sewed up the hole.  Then I sewed on another button.

*  Gratefully received more paper supermarket bags from a friend.  We use these as a bin for rubbish in the kitchen.  I just stand it upright in the cupboard under the sink.

*  On Thursday I planted more potatoes in our raised garden bed.  I've counted 14 weeks ahead on our calendar and marked the date for when they should be ready to dig up.

*  I used the bag from the toilet paper as a bin liner in our kitchen.  Why throw it out when it can be used for rubbish,  then thrown out ?

*  I made scones for the Mother's Day afternoon tea we had here.  I served them with homemade jam and whipped cream.  We had some plain scones leftover so they went into the freezer.

*  We used the solar lanterns,  saved water from drink bottles into a bucket ( used for plants ) and dried the washing on the line. 

LINKS -

Scones

ANZAC Biscuits

Lunchbox Chocolate Choc Chip Muffins

Potatoes, beans and feijoas from our garden

Chrysanthemums in our garden

Jessica and I on Mother's Day

The biscuits were from church for the Mums

How did you spend Mother's Day ?

How have you saved time,  money or energy this week ?


5 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy,your scones,& muffins sound delicious I have found a new use for those brown shopping bags,I keep potatoes in one & onions in the other side by side in a dark spot

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely week Wendy! Lovely photo too! Baking is such a good gift. Everything is so expensive now that baked treats are just so popular. So good that you can dig up some spuds. I have been peeling potatoes today as my daughter gave me some but I also have a big box full of potato plants to dig up ahead... the plants haven't started to die off yet. Have a great weekend! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The weather has been lovely here today too, a welcome change after days of rain. Lovely Mothers' Day photo, Wendy! At our place this week:
    * planned weekly meals based on what we already have here
    * had lots of little ripe avocados so made nachos & topped with these, spring onion and soured cream
    * picked lettuce, spring onion, perpetual spinach and flowers from our garden.
    * packed lunch to take to our son's weekend sports events
    * used 10% off at supermarket to buy some toiletries, got more soap and crackers from discount store
    * bought 2x marked down oranges -will use juice in a cake
    * filled up fuel after checking prices, used 4% off
    * our son vaccuumed car - no cost and he did a great job
    * washed five small clip lock bags that a colleague was going to throw away. These are fine to reuse now instead of going to landfill.
    Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wendy, What quantities of onion powder,onion granules ect do yo add to the three packets of French onion soup to make it go further? I would love to try this..thank you in advance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't measure quantities. I would have been 3 tablespoons of the onion flakes, maybe a teaspoon or two of the garlic and a good shake of everything else.

      Delete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.