Wednesday 20 April 2022

Reusing Doilies

I must admit,  I'm a fan of doilies and have used them around my home under vases,  lamps and frames for almost 25 years.  With the latest trends being minimalist,  doilies seem to be disappearing from view.  

Here are a few ways you can make the most of doilies in a delightful way - 


*  Doilies make delightful ' hats '  for jars of jam.

*  A doily bunting is a pretty and eco friendly way to decorate a room or table for a party.

*  An old fragile doily can be given a new lease on life mounted in a picture frame.  Make sure the background cardboard / paper has enough color to help the doily stand out.

*  Do you like a display of soap in your bathroom ?  Stand the soap up on end and wrap a doily around the soaps.  Threading ribbon or twine through the doily holes will keep the soaps together.

*  Doilies can be used as the outer layer of a lavender sachet.

*  Made delicate bowls and dishes by mixing PVA glue with a little water.  Turn a glass bowl upside down and rub a little Vaseline or oil over the surface.  Cover the bowl with your chosen doily.  Brush on the glue mixture until completely cover.  Allow a couple of hours to dry then peel the doily off.

Doily bunting for my birthday.


Do you use doilies in your home ?

If so,  how do you use them ?


5 comments:

  1. My mother does not belong to the minimalist school of thought. We have doilies and quilted toppers everywhere. It drives me bats as it can take up to 30 minutes to remove the clutter to get to the doily to change it! I have tried reducing the amount of decorative stuff to make cleaning easier but she likes all kinds of stuff on show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Wendy I also like to have a doily between my furniture and things like lamps and vases etc.I still use some that could be over 70 years old as they were well used by my mother. Embroidered small tray and supper cloths look lovely in a big basket for bread when entertaining.Great postings recently on budgeting, great for newcomers to a more frugal life and we all benefit from reminders how to survive and thrive.Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wendy, I am also a fan of doilies. They make lovely coasters and the little scraps are handy for embellishing embroideries, cards, and hand-sewn toys.

    With love from,
    Kelly (Mrs. Kiwi)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning Wendy,
    I gifted some to a friend for earthenware projects where they leave permanent marks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love doilies but never use them. Thank you for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.