Saturday, 20 June 2020
This Week's Frugal Tasks Saturday 20th June 2020
Life has been quite busy at the Gower Abundant Cottage since the last time I posted about 4 weeks ago. Darren and I have been in the garden every chance we get. Our backyard makeover is almost complete with only a new shed for Darren and a new chicken coop to be installed late Winter / early Spring.
We've relayed garden edging that was looking a bit crooked. Plants have been moved to better locations with some being ditched all together due to poor growth habits. Lots of new plants are filling up the garden beds around our home. Our Winter veggie garden has now been planted.
Over the next few weeks we hope to tackle our front garden which has had little attention for many years.
Darren and I were blessed with an extra cleaning job that lasted 8 weeks while our friend completed writing her third novel. This cleaning job helped to fill in the gaps left by other cleaning jobs that have been put on hold due to the lock down.
Our grandbabies continue to bring us great joy ( and busyness ). Luka keeps us on our toes as he tries to get into everything he can. He has enjoyed helping us in the garden with his own digger and watering can.
Here's what else we've been up to -
* Grated lots of little hotel guest soaps we've collected over the last few years. They will now be turned into laundry powder.
* Cleaned the kettle with citric acid.
* Made up a spray bottle of diluted dish washing liquid to use as a spray and wipe on the kitchen and bathroom surfaces.
* Sold 2 bars of handmade soap, a bottle of room spray and a bottle of Miracle Spray to a friend.
* Froze lots of leftovers into single serves. Some were given to Jessica to use when she's had a busy day at work.
* Megan and I made a menu plan. 10 days at a time seems to work best with all the comings and goings in our home.
* We filled up our cars with cheaply priced petrol just before it went up for the long weekend.
* I received 10% off at Woolworths when I scanned my Everyday Rewards card.
* Hung wet washing on the shower door rail to dry. This works well for jeans and jumpers. I just close the bathroom door and let the ducted heating do all the work.
* Cleaned the shower with diluted dish washing liquid.
* Picked silverbeet from the garden to add to a few dinners.
* Planted broccoli and cauliflower seedlings.
* Refilled the herb jars from bulk bags.
* Baked two orange cakes. The mixture was divided so we could eat one cake straight away and the other one was frozen for future eating.
* Made chicken stock in the slow cooker then made a chunky chicken soup. Some was frozen into single serves.
* Gratefully received lots of lamb chops from a friend who couldn't use them.