We live in a world that likes to replace items on a whim. If things look a little tired or out of date - just go and buy a new one. You only have to watch tv ads or look at the latest department store catalogues.
Over the last 18 months or so many incomes have been slashed and having spare cash can be a luxury.
Here are some free alternatives you can easily source with little effort -
* Need a new kitchen sponge ? Raid your linen cupboard for unwanted or faded face washers. They are very durable, can be washed in the washing machine and are also great for wiping kitchen benches.
* Need some pantry storage ? Use glass Moccona coffee jars. They come in different sizes and can be easily sourced on social media pages. Any glass jar will do the job including jam, pasta sauce, tomato paste and pickle jars.
* Need new cushion covers ? Tables cloths, pillow cases and bed sheets can easily be sewn into cushion covers with minimal effort, skill and equipment.
* Need a new vase or don't like the look of the ones you have ? Use glass jars as is or paint them a neutral color like white for a classic look.
* Think you need a new rice cooker ? A saucepan will do the job and did so for hundreds of years before the sudden urge to use one. Just wash your rice before cooking and put a timer on for accurate cooking.
* Need to update your old picture frames ? Paint them with a more modern color. Check your garage for leftover paint from your last painting project. If your frame has a matted picture in it, the mat can be painted too.
* Need new tea towels ? Cut and hem old cotton doona covers or pillow cases.
|Jam jars for herb storage|
|Free Moccona coffee jars from Facebook|