Saturday 20 November 2021

This Week's Frugal Tasks Saturday 20th November 2021

 It's been another busy week at the Gower Abundant Cottage.  We've cleaned lots of big homes as well as kept ours neat and tidy.  Melbourne has experienced days and days of rain which has been a real blessing for our garden.

Here's what else we've been up to -

*  Baked  three loaves of wholemeal bread with extra goodness.

*  Found some amazing meat specials in Coles on  Sunday night.  It's not very often I'm in the right place at the right time but the man who reduced the meat had only just finished when we walked through the meat department.

*  The two cooked chickens we got on sale were stripped of meat and the bones were put into two slow cookers and made into stock.  Then I made up two big pots of chunky chicken and veg soup for the freezer.  

*  Darren picked flowers from our garden to brighten up our kitchen.

*  I did my monthly grocery shop and used the 10% off that Woolworths gives me for having insurance with them.

*  Picked silverbeet from our garden as our ' green ' vegetable on our dinner plates.

*  Made a country chicken casserole in the slow cooker using a packet mix that was given to us and some of the chicken we got at a reduced price.  I was able to get 7 serves instead of 4.  I've kept the packet and will try to recreate the seasonings so we can make this casserole again.

*  Darren and I have picked up two new cleaning jobs.  We are very grateful for the extra work.

*  Dried the washing on the line when it wasn't raining.  The other times I had washing on clothes horses.

*  Repaired a pair of sneakers I wear to my cleaning jobs.  The sole was starting to come away so I glued it before it got worse.  

*  Baked choc chip biscuits with dough from the freezer.


Choc chip biscuits

Meat specials.


Repairing my sneakers


Luka in Nanny's craft room


What frugal tasks have you completed this week ?


7 comments:

  1. Wendy here is my version of the chicken casserole minus the packet mix.
    1Tbs vegetable oil
    1 kg chicken fillets halved
    2 carrots chopped
    2 stalks of celery chopped
    1/4 cup cream
    1/2 cup frozen peas
    Fresh thyme

    Brown the chicken then add to slow cooker along with carrots and celery

    Mix 1ts garlic powder. 1 ts onion powder, 1/2ts rosemary, thyme and sage with 1/4 cup water and 1ts soy sauce (teriyaki sauce) pour over the vegetables etc.
    Cook on 4 hours on high
    Or 8 hours on low
    Add cream and peas 15 minutes before serving.
    Serve with mashed potato.

    Janine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendy. Your grandson looks like he's having lots of fun in your craft room! The mark down prices are great; meat is very expensive if not on special. It's been busy week at our place but we still managed some frugal things to save money:
    * topped up fuel before price rise to over $1.90 per L. Saved 30c per L.
    * picked lettuce, garlic chives, cherry toms, perpetual spinach and cucumber from our garden
    * homemade meals - hamburgers, quiche and salad, macaroni cheese with bacon and peas, pizza and salads and chicken stir fry & rice
    * baked banana choc chip muffins, lemon crumble slice and zucchini slice
    * finished knitting a washcloth
    * bought second hand school blazer (looks new) for $80 which is big saving on retail price of $195.
    * received a lavender plant and a salvia plant from our lovely neighbour.
    * dried our washing on line in the sun

    Have a lovely weekend,
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy those meat deals were stupendous. I am so happy for you. I know you will enjoy this bounty for a long time...Also congratulations on the extra work.

    I don't think I have been frugal at all this week. I have indulged in my love of fabrics and spent way more than I ever should. Today my mother turned some leftovers into a double sided apron for my granddaughter. She was thrilled. It was lovely to make this for her as she has had a toughest week with her mother having surgery yesterday. We worked carefully around the scraps and there are still some largish pieces left. In short I cut and mum sewed. Some Christmas food and gifts have come home from Silly Sollys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good save on the shoes. I love the little platter the biscuits are on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute craft helper you have! Nice find on the meat discounts.

    We've been doing the regular stuff (line drying our clothes, menu planning, growing things in our garden, etc). But, I haven't been listing things on eBay, so my sales have dried to nothing. I need to get back to it, but I'm sort of out of energy for it at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent catch in the meat department. Always a pleasant surprise.
    House full of grandkids so not much saving money. Feeding them salads to get their vegetables in be before pizza is my new go to so they don’t “Starve” while waiting.
    Shortened my Swiffer so the two tear old actually can help clean. I use a cut up thin t-shirt for dusting pads. Washable, they fit well, and easy.
    Sheila- Michigan USA

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lucky finding that marked down meat! I rarely see reduced meat or anything else for that matter anymore. I guess I’m just not there at the right time.

    I happy for you to be getting more work.

    I started on my Christmas baking just today, and I was able to save money on the dried fruit etc by comparing coles, woollies and aldi prices for what I needed, Aldi won hands down for most products, and bonus they were Australian grown which is very important to me.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.