Saturday 24 August 2024

This Week's Frugal Tasks Saturday 24th August 2024

 My frugal list is not a big one this week.  We both had a busy weekend,  then work for both of us.  I spent some time in the veggie garden pulling weeds and turning the soil over ready to do some Spring planting shortly.  

I guess my biggest achievement was staying away from the shops and not needing any groceries.  Even when I took my Mum grocery shopping on Monday I didn't buy a thing.   Darren did buy 4 kilos of apples from a grower near our church office.  He needed them for his lunches and the apples on offer at our local fruit and veg shop have been of a very poor quality.

Here is our frugal list for the week -

*  We saved the shower warm up water and kitchen water ( from drink bottles etc ) and poured it on the mandarin trees,  strawberry plants and a few pot plants.

*  Dried all the washing on the line.

*  Refilled the foaming hand wash pump in our bathroom with shower gel and water.

*  I fed silverbeet,  bread crusts,  weeds and grass to our chicken.

*  I picked silverbeet,  mandarins and lemons from our garden.

*  I juiced lots of lemons and froze it into icecube trays.

*  The super cheap dinners this week were  - chunky chicken and veg soup  

                                                                      -  homemade pizza on Darren's flat breads

*  We used the solar lanterns a few times this week when they were charged enough.

*  We both filled up our cars before the price of petrol goes up ( predicted any day now ).  We paid about $1.71 a litre

*  I made three loaves of wholemeal bread with extra goodness.

 LINKS -

Wholemeal bread with extra goodness

Chunky chicken and veggie soup


Wholemeal bread with extra goodness

From our garden

Picking silverbeet

How have you saved money this week ?


7 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy. We saved money this week by using things up, using garden produce and by choosing the cheapest options for unavoidable expenses.
    * made a salad dressing with a half tub of greek yoghurt that needed using. I added mustard and small amount of raw honey.
    * made silverbeet impossible pie with silverbeet, spring onion and herbs from garden.
    * made salad wirh lettuce from garden
    * saved coneflower and marigold seeds from garden. More marigolds have sprung up too.
    * added homemade compost to potted plants
    * filled up car with fuel before petrol price increases
    * booked two flights - first of day and last of an evening on return - to save as much $ as possible. Packed homemade sandwiches' and snack for flight and borrowed library mags to read on plane
    * mended a linen shirt where shoulder seam had begun ro unravel. Good as new!
    * washed and line dried washing when sun came out
    * bought a light cotton shirt, pair of shorts, 4 teaspoons and as-new hand towel at op-shop when they had 50% off. Total cost $12.
    Have a lovely week!
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good afternoon Wendy, I also bought two as new pillowcases and a small necklace to put in my granddaughter’s Christmas parcel, at the op shop.I have the latest gardening magazines to read from the library, gratefully were given lemons and silver beet and have just given my husband a haircut and trimmed my own fringe. I will also cut and tidy up my own finger and toenails and bath and groom the dog myself this afternoon.The sheets and towels are hanging on the line. I feel these habits save us over a thousand dollars a year based on what other people spend regularly.Have a lovely week, let’s hope the nicer weather continues

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which recipe do you use for bread & is it difficult to make & have success?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I 've put the link to the recipe in the link section above the photos. No it's not difficult to make . Just get good quality yeast. I get mine from Hindustan Imports.

      Delete
  4. Your bread always looks so good Wendy! The lemons and silverbeet look good too. I have lemons to use in the next week or so.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This week on Flashfood (a week after the two day sale for 99 cents a pound), I found 24 pound cartons of strawberries for 25 cents / pound! They were not mushy or moldy and looked exactly the same as the ones on offer in the produce department for full price! Daughter bought 8 from me. I put 4 in a bowl in the fridge to eat fresh and used 12 to process into jam! I got 20 half pints and 2 pints . The cost breakdown was 12-1/2 cents of strawberries per half pint and 25 cents/pint jar! https://pin.it/68EtgCZea and https://pin.it/hGRKHInOX.
    On Flashfood this afternoon, I also bought 2 packages of chicken drumsticks (12 drums per package)- total of 9.59 pounds for $4. total! That’s 41 cents/pound and enough for several meals for the 2 of us!
    Here’s a client quilt I finished quilting on- https://pin.it/1dGRrBdHE. Then I started another Use it Up scrapbusting quilt to give as a wedding gift next weekend! https://pin.it/3Sd6cs1ix It will be 64” x 80” so a nice snuggle quilt while watching tv! And it’s only cost is my time!
    I made an enchilada casserole bake last night for Sunday dinner to use up some corn tortillas in fridge (that would have torn if I tried to roll them up!) All the other ingredients were from pantry shelves including the home canned chicken chunks! Saw it on Rose Red Homestead on YouTube- https://youtu.be/dKDcjKMD2eQ?si=QErXjGzFeSUEo50e. So simple and fast! Youngest son was over for Sunday dinner and went home with 2 leftover serves and I portioned out 2 more leftover serves for Hubs and me. So it made 8 servings (son had seconds). Glad I put a couple dozen cans of diced green chilis from ALDI on my pantry shelves back in February! They sure come in
    I started harvesting Concord grapes from our vine and looks like there will be a nice amount. They smell just divine and we put netting over them so birds and squirrels can’t get them!
    So we just keep adding to and using up things we have in our food storage! The opportunities have certainly not been at convenient times, but they have been more than worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Wendy, I just had a read on Facebook of your media interviews and the comments people made in response to your article. I am sorry that you received so many rude and malicious comments. I don’t understand why people feel the need to leave nasty remarks when they disagree with you. They could just say nothing. I do find it disturbing that so many people seem unwilling to change their habits or lifestyles when times get tough and will not even consider alternatives to save money on their groceries. I think it is brave of you to put yourself out there and share your strategies for living well on a low income, knowing that you will cop a lot of flack.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.