Saturday 10 August 2024

This Week's Frugal Tasks Saturday 10th August 2024

 Looking back over this week its been a joyful time spent at home.  The temperature has lifted a little.  The sun is shining a little more and I'm starting to think about Spring planting.  Our grandbabies Luka ( 5 ) and Bryson ( 4 ) can't wait to help us plant our veggie seeds.

There's nothing like the feeling of growing our own food.  The sense of satisfaction,  the peace it brings to my soul and the security of being semi self sufficient is hard to explain unless you've tried it for yourself.

The make,  bake,  sew and grow life is a rich life full of rewards.

Here's how we saved money this week - 

*  We picked a few mandarins from our tree.  We are also trying to eat up the free mandarins given to us a few weeks ago.

*  I cut open a shampoo bottle and hand cream tube to scrape out the remaining contents.

*  I mended 2 pairs of shoes.  Darren's moccasins were falling apart at the stitching so I used a needle and thread to stitch it back up again.  A pair of my Winter boots had 2 little holes in one of the shoes.  I used a little dab of super glue to prevent the hole from getting bigger and make it less obvious ( not sure if I succeeded on that one ).

*  We charged up the solar lanterns on the sunny days and used them at night in the loungeroom.

*  I made 3 loaves of wholemeal bread with extra goodness.

*  I cleaned out the surface spray bottle with a long handled brush from IKEA and refilled it with cooled,  boiled water and a dash of dishwashing liquid.

*  We had a few milder,  sunny days so I dried ( or partly dried ) the washing on the clothes horses outside.  The other days I dried it over a ducted heating vent.

*  I made a double recipe of chocolate brownies.  We have a couple of occasions coming up so most of it will be stored in the freezer until it's needed.

*  After baking the bread,  ( and while the oven was still hot ) I made dried bread crumbs out of the loaf ends and a few other odds and sods in the freezer.   

*  I made muesli bars for my work morning teas.  Next week I'll be making some for Darren with the ingredients he likes.

*  I bought 5 wooden picture frames from Savers for $2.99 each and used a 20% off discount voucher to get them even cheaper.  They are in excellent condition but in various shades of white.  I gave them a wipe over and sprayed them with Rustoleum gloss white so that they all match.

*  On the sunny days I had the curtains wide open to enjoy the free warmth coming in.  There were some days I didn't need to put the heater on at all.

*  A couple of weeks ago I was on the hunt for a blanket to put on the back seat of my new car.  So off to the shops I went but I couldn't find anything dark in color.  Yesterday it dawned on me that I have exactly what I need hanging over the back of a rocking chair in the loungeroom. It fits perfectly and will prevent dirt from the grandson's shoes getting on the seat.

*  I fed silverbeet,  weeds,  grass and bread crusts to our chicken.

LINKS -

Chocolate Brownies

Wholemeal Bread With Extra Goodness

Crunchy Muesli Bars 


Luka picked flowers for me from our garden

A double chocolate brownie


Spray painting some of the picture frames


A new frame for Naomi's photo

The blanket for my car


The damaged moccasin

Fixed as best as I could.


Cutting open toiletry products.

Have you done any baking this week ?

How have you saved time,  money or energy this week ?




9 comments:

  1. Those brownies look delicious, Wendy. Yum! I bake every week, usually on a Sunday for the week ahead. I made two Weetbix and Oat slices and sweet potato chocolate cake this week. This week I've been grateful for homemade meals in the freezer as I've had so many work meetings. Getting home and being able to heat up a nutritious meal quickly helps a lot! Also:
    * boiled some eggs and these were in fridge for egg and lettuce sandwiches for lunches
    * packed lunches and water bottles every day
    * steamed veg, portioned and froze, for our dog
    * gratefully received limes and lemon from a friend; I will be juicing these and freezing for summer salad dressings
    * washed our car myself and our son cleaned our driveway
    * borrowed a book I really want to read
    * picked last of cherry toms from our garden and, along with our silverbeet, these will go into quiches.
    * used a voucher I was gifted for local nursery. I bought a dwarf lemon, two indoor plants and some potting mix. There is still some $ left on my voucher which I am saving to buy veg seedlings in Spring. Such a lovely gift!
    Hope you have a good week, Wendy.
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Wendy, yes I am feeling a bit chirpier with the sunshine coming in and the heater off during the day. I have bought about 6 months supply of toiletries for half price this week, but emergency dentist appointment and a having to get a new washing machine has dipped into our emergency fund. Our 24 year old , pull along vacuum cleaner is heading for replacement and I wondered as a professional cleaner what you would recommend. The cordless ones look easier to use but are they good enough to do your week’s cleaning with ? And some seem extraordinary expensive! Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wondering why you always use boiled cooled water in your cleaning . Is it for germs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made 2 different oat bars for my children today instead of buying them from Aldi.
    I also baked a huge batch of gingerbread biscuits so they have recess and afternoon tea with some in season fruit. My mum cooked them a quiche for lunch so that's 2 days sorted.
    I'm trying to use up ingredients in the fridge, freezer and pantry this week.
    Have a lovely week 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gingerbread biscuits sound very yummy. Well done on all the baking.

      Delete
  5. "A double chocolate brownie" ... do you mean you added more chocolate, or doubled the recipe, or maybe both ? - Madelyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ... a non-doubled version on my list, as I'm on my own.

      Delete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.