Wednesday 25 July 2018

Golden Syrup Dumplings

I just love a baked dessert in Winter. It ticks all the boxes doesn't it ?  Golden syrup dumplings are  warm and hearty,  full of flavour and very easy on the grocery budget.  I'm not sure where this recipe originates from but my Mum made this for the family when I was growing up.  She wrote this recipe out for me as a newly wed and it has become a Winter favourite in my home too.

SYRUP

1 1/2 cups of water
1/2 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon of butter
1 tablespoon of Golden Syrup

DUMPLINGS

1 cup of Self Raising flour
1 tablespoon of butter
1 egg
1/3 cup of milk

Add all the syrup ingredients to a medium saucepan and bring to a gentle boil.

While the syrup is heating, in a bowl rub the butter into the flour until it looks slightly crumbly.

Combine the milk and egg in a cup then add to the flour mixture.  Mix with a knife until just combined.

Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead slightly into a ball.

Portion 8 equal dumplings from the dough and gently place into the heated syrup.

Place the lid on the saucepan,  turn the heat down to a minimum and cook for 20 minutes.

DO NOT LIFT THE LID until the 20 minutes are up.

Serve with cream,  icecream,  milk or a combination of your choice.

Serves 4 - 8.

May be refrigerated for a couple of days and reheated in the microwave.




11 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy

    Just thought I would stop by after some time away. Luckily I did as I was just wondering about a dessert for tonight....these look and sound amazing so I may just make them this afternoon.

    Hope everyone is well. I am sorry I have not been around for sometime as I have had a pretty tough year and had to concentrate on the loss of a close family member and I am just starting to find my feet again. I have been checking in now and again catching up on your blog but haven't had the strength to comment. I feel that checking in has helped me in many ways and for this I "Thank You" as it has just been a little bit to look forward to

    Regards
    Aly xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry you've had some challenging times Aly. Please remember your family member fondly and take baby steps with the readjustment. God knows your hurt and is watching over you with love xoxo

      I never really know how my blog will help people. I'm glad it's been a little ray of sunshine for you in your time of darkness.

      Enjoy the dumplings tonight. Much love xoxo

      Delete
  2. Oh, this is a firm family favourite and just the weather for it too. Pass the insulin will you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound great Wendy, must give them a try.
    Kind regards,
    Andrea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg! How delicious! I LOVE all the golden syrup desserts! Your post Brings back beautiful childhood memories- thank you Wendy. Jen xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Wendy these were really yummy.

    Your words were of great comfort to me. The person I lost was my brother and just a few days before Mother's Day. This was very difficult to come to terms with and if truth be told I don't think I have come that far as yet. But reading your blog along with a few others was able to give me that little bit of peaceful time and something to look forward to. It really was helpful in me being able to have time out from the darkness, some enjoyment.

    Aly xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. My grandmother used to make these dumplings every weekend during winter and now I will make them this weekend. Thanks for the reminder and the recipe!
    I am preparing a new garden bed and found the cream clivias I was planning to use were $28 each, but motivated by your resourcefulness and some online instructions I collected, germinated and grew 14 plants from seeds and now they're ready to plant.
    Thankyou to you, Wendy, and the ever generous online community for motivating and encouraging people to live good, less stressful lives and to appreciate their own ability to make changes to suit their families.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy the dumplings Deborah.

      How wonderful you were able to multiply your clivias. They are expensive aren't they ? Maybe next time you could give some as presents. $28 saved each time.

      Delete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.