Wednesday 16 October 2019

Making Gifts From The Garden

Giving gifts from the garden can be a very rewarding thing to do.  Often the gift costs very little or free if you use a recycled pot.  Here are some very budget conscious ideas for you to try -


*  Do you grow raspberries ?    Each Spring your old plants may send out little runner plants.  Gently dig them up and plant into a pot.  Add a little wrapping paper or a ribbon and give as a present.  When we bought our plants back in 2014 they cost $15 each from Bunnings.  A potted raspberry is a practical and free gift worth a good amount.

*  A plant pot of mixed lettuce seedlings is a colourful and practical gift.  Lettuce seeds cost only a few dollars but the packets might contain hundreds of seeds.  Now is the time to plant the seeds to have ready to pick lettuce for a Christmas present.

*  Make rose water using rose petals from your garden.  Just boil up the petals with water in a saucepan then simmer until the water changes color.  Cool with the lid on then decant into sterilised bottles or glass jars.

*  Plant a mini herb garden using recycled pots or even a small length of old guttering.  Stencil or paint the pots to customise them for the receiver.

*  Did you juice and freeze lots of lemon juice over Winter ?  Make up a big batch of lemon butter a couple of days before Christmas.  This 6 minute recipe is easy to make and tastes delicious.  Refrigerate until you give it and perhaps decorate the jar with a little ' hat ' and include a pretty teaspoon.  Op shops are a great place for sourcing pretty teaspoons.

*  Take cuttings from daisy plants during late Spring to make fabulous gifts.  Their bright,  pretty colors make a cheerful addition to any garden.

*  Lavender sachets would have to be one of the easiest gifts to make.  Pick the flower stems and dry over the next few weeks.  Pull the little flower heads off and pour into a cotton or organza bag.  Tie with a purple ribbon.  These little bags can be teamed up with a purple face washer, homemade  lavender room spray and a purple hand soap ( quite cheap in the supermarket ).

Potted up lettuce.  Isn't it pretty ?

Lemon butter

Raspberry plant as a gift

Drying lavender flowers

What gifts have you given from your garden ?


11 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy,
    gifts from the garden are great. We have a new garden but have brought bits and pieces from many gardens with us. I have been drying lots of herbs including mints and scented geraniums to place in cloth chickens I have made to be used as moth deterrents in the pantry. I have also dried my peppermint to make peppermint tea. I have been making cloth produce bags from a length of old curtain sheer material- some of these will be gifts too. Always enjoy your posts, thank you. Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorraine, you have some wonderful gift ideas. I'd love to see a photo of your cloth chickens. Could you please send me a photo via Facebook ?

      Delete
  2. Brown paper and string wrapped around plain pots just looks lovely. I give bunches of Bayleaves and other herbs, produce, jams etc. Just now I have a lot of self sewn cherry tomatoes so I am potion these up as some gifts. When they are about six inches hight I will give them away in groupings in little baskets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoy hearing about your handmade gifts. You present them so well and have encouraged me to give more of my own goodies. Thankyou so much Annabel.

      Delete
  3. Unfortunately some of my family members are filled with avarice and do not want homemade gifts, even though they are well made and thoughtful. I can feel the preChristmas holiday gloom settling. Oh well I shall do my best. I give away a lot of jams and relishes but these are just seen as something I do. Have you any tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzan, I think sometimes it comes down to presentation. You could decorate the jams with little hats, a luxurious ribbon and gift tag presented in a gift bag or box.

      I've given handmade gifts to people who may not appreciate them for what they really are. I still give anyway because my budget does not allow for extravagant spending I'm sure they eat your jams and relishes.

      Delete
  4. Hi Wendy love your ideas, we have finally moved into our very own house and getting our gardens in place. I have just planted a raspberry I can't wait for it to fruit!!
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting for you Brooke. The raspberry fruit tastes amazingly delicious. We freeze as much as we can to make muffins and jams. Congratulations on moving into your own home. Happy decorating and planting.

      Delete
  5. I tie my lavender (crumbled, including the stalks) in an old embroidered handkerchief. I have inherited quite a few of these from Mum's side of the family, so they are free. I put a tie around it, that I have cut off of new clothes, or ribbon from gifts I have received.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a wonderful way to give lavender. I was given a hankie filled sachet over 40 years ago and it still smells amazing.

      Delete
  6. I'm always thrilled when someone takes the time to make or bake a gift for me.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.