Darren and I had planned on planting out most of our veggie seedlings this week. Due to the amount of rain and cold weather we've had, we needed to put these plans on hold for now. It looks like good weather is coming our way in the next few days and I'm itching to get outside again. So it ended up being a week of finishing craft projects for me and Darren pottered around outside under the deck and eaves tidying up where he could. Here are our frugal tasks for this week -
* Cooked homemade pizzas from scratch for our dinner one night. Darren ate his leftovers a couple of day later and I froze mine to eat at the end of the week.
* Knitted another 3 dish cloths using cotton I bought on clearance at Spotlight a couple of years ago. The white cotton was bought at Savers for just a few dollars a big bag ( lots of rolls in it ).
* Made another batch of butter using the free cream. I think I still have about 15 - 18 bottles of cream in the freezer to get through.
* Poured the last of my foaming face wash into the foaming hand wash bottle. It will do the same job.
* Made lots of greeting cards using up scraps I already had.
* Dried all the washing on the line.
* Made 11 jars of raspberry jam using fruit we'd grown and frozen last season. This is the last of our frozen raspberries so now I have room in the freezer for the current growing season.
* Picked snow peas, bok choy and lemons from our garden. The greens were put into a chop suey I cooked and it stretched the meal out. i was able to freeze 3 large serves.
* Wrote out a new menu plan for the next 2 weeks. I've added freezer meals and soup as our cheap or free meals to keep our costs down.
* Saved the washing machine water, shower warm up water and kitchen water when possible.
* Bought a new cat collar for Princess from NQR for $2. This is a saving of $6 - $8 on supermarket prices. It was the last one so I'll be keeping a look out for more.
* Darren used a chicken feed bag to grow potatoes in.
* Mended a cushion where the zip had broken. The zip is beyond repair so I just sewed the cushion opening up.
|From our garden|
|More knitted dish cloths|
|Handmade greeting cards|
Hanging tea towels I've been working on over the last few months.
How have you kept yourself busy this week ?