Over the last three weeks since I last posted our frugal tasks, we've tried to stay busy each day. I've started Spring cleaning around our home and clean something different every few days. On the milder days we've had lunch or morning teas outside on our deck and admired all our hard work in the garden.
Here's how we've spent our days -
* Bought Osso Bucco beef from Australian Butchers for $10.99 kg. This is a fantastic price for any cut of beef.
* Made up one slow cooker of Massaman beef curry and one slow cooker of beef stew ( at the same time ). We enjoyed these meals for the next two nights and all the leftovers were portioned out and frozen.
* Gratefully received a pot of chicken noodle soup from Megan. Unfortunately she made too much for herself and had no room in her freezer. She dropped it off on our doorstep and we enjoyed it for dinner that night and froze the leftovers.
* Dried the washing on the line or clotheshorses. Over the last three weeks I've only put one load in the dryer when it was too muggy for the washing to dry naturally ( I tried ).
* Wrote out a menu plan for the next four weeks. Added in soup a few times as our cheap meals.
* Baked wholemeal bread with extra goodness twice during the last three weeks.
* Baked a batch of ANZAC biscuits using dough I'd previously frozen.
* Gratefully received tomato plants from my Dad.
* Made up a bottle of surface spray using cooled boiled water and a dash of dish washing liquid. I use this to clean my toilets, wipe sinks and clean the stove and kitchen benches.
* Bought approximately 10 kilos of chicken breasts for $4.99kg. For just over $40 I portioned out the meat and there was enough for 40 meals for the two of us. Some meals I might be able to get 3 or 4 serves.
* Made a pot of chicken stock from chicken skins and offcuts from the chicken breasts. The stock should give us enough for 8 serves of chicken soup when I make it up.
* Sold a few cards and face masks to friends who requested them.
* Sold quite a few dish cloths, face scrubbies and greeting card sets. I still have a few left so if you are interested please check out the posts I put on my Facebook pages.
* We picked lettuce, silverbeet and sugar snap peas from our garden.
* Darren and I baked raspberry and white chocolate muffins, blueberry muffins and sausage rolls as our latest lockdown treats.
* I found a few rouge seedlings growing under bigger plants in our front garden. I gently dug them up and planted them in better locations to fill in some gaps. With all the gardening shops closed, we are grateful for the little surprises in the garden.
* Made a garden scoop from a recycled vinegar bottle. I'm planning on using it to scoop out potting mix from the bag.
* We had both our ovens fixed for free by the company who makes / distributes them. Even through they are well out of warranty, it was a design fault. The value of the repairs was approximately $500.
Here are a few photos from our garden -
|Tomato plants from Dad|
|A birthday chocolate / rose bouquet from Jessica|
|Massaman beef curry and beef stew|
|Dish cloths for sale on Facebook.|