We are very grateful the hot, humid weather has disappeared and we can get back to normal living and tasks. Our tomato plants are still fruiting although the plants themselves look like they are on their last legs.
Here's what we've been up to -
* Made up a jar of French onion soup mix. I used a couple of packets from the supermarket and added my own ingredients from the pantry to stretch it further.
* I filled up both slow cookers with sausage casserole using the sausages I received last week. From that one tray of sausages I made 12 dinners ( 24 serves ) for the two of us. 11 dinners were portioned out into containers and frozen for easy meals.
* Made rosemary powder from the rosemary I picked from our garden a few weeks ago that I'd been drying. Rosemary powder is great to use of roast potatoes. The powder sticks far better than the usual dried leaves.
* Refilled my herb and spice jars with bulk purchases from Hindustan Imports. This is a huge saving over supermarket prices.
* Made three loaves of wholemeal bread with extra goodness.
* Upcycled 20 + department store bags by decorating over their store logo / name.
* Darren picked oranges from Megan's tree. Some will be used to make 50 / 50 cordial and the rest will be frozen whole to use in baking.
* Gratefully received tomatoes from my Dad's garden. I cooked them down and made a big pot of spag bol sauce ( with meat ). I added grated zucchini from our garden and a couple of carrots. We ate spag bol for dinner that night and another 6 meals ( 12 serves ) went into the freezer.
* Found a large toy truck for $7 and two hooded towels for $6 each. All were on clearance and will be given as presents this year.
* Darren has been feeding the large cardboard box from our mattress into the compost bin. We were quite surprised that our mattress was delivered flat in a HUGE cardboard box as well as being wrapped in plastic on the inside. The plastic was saved for veggie garden projects and the cardboard was cut into manageable pieces and soaked in water before putting in the compost bin.
* Baked ANZAC biscuits for our snacks using dough I'd made and frozen last week.
* Planted 7 sprouting potatoes into the veggie garden.
* I picked raspberries, beans, tomatoes and a zucchini from our garden.
|Upcycled gift bags|
|Portioned for freezing.|
|French onion soup mix|
|Processing dried rosemary|
|We might be getting mandarins this coming Winter.|