Over the last couple of weeks we have tried to be super thrifty with what we have and trying not to spend money unless we really have to. The work Darren picked up last month is starting to dry up and we are not sure if it will continue. Darren is in the process of lining up more work but there could be a wait time of up to 6 weeks while his applications are being processed.
My cleaning work continues and we are very grateful for it. It has been a bit challenging with the dreaded virus hitting 3 of our clients homes and our work has been cancelled. I guess you could say that the Frugal February Spending Freeze has come at the perfect time for us.
Here's how we saved money over the last two weeks -
* Gratefully received tomatoes, lemons, oranges and a cucumber from a cleaning client.
* Made 1 x large lasagne and 2 x medium lasagnes ( 24 serves in total ) using the gifted tomatoes as well as tomatoes from our garden. I bulked out the meat sauce with TVP, grated carrot and zucchini from our garden. We had 2 serves for dinner that night and the rest went into the freezer. We always serve lasagne with either steamed veggies or salad on the side so that the lasagne serve doesn't need to be too big.
* Saved the shower warm up water and poured it into the washing machine.
* Baked choc chip biscuits for our morning teas using dough from the freezer.
* I made hooded bath towels for when our grandsons come for a visit.
* Darren planted capsicum and spinach plants.
* Sewed 12 tea towels from a cotton Doona cover.
* Baked three loaves of wholemeal bread with extra goodness.
* I found and replanted some plant seedlings in our garden. They are great for filling in gaps and are free.
* Made a bulk amount of beef stew in the slow cooker. We had some for dinner that night and another 3 meals ( 6 serves ) went into the freezer. I just love cooking once and eating many times.
* Bought a few boxes of our favourite icecreams on a half price sale. They will be rationed out and enjoyed for a long time.
* I picked raspberries, beans, tomatoes, strawberries, corn and zucchinis from our garden.
* Sold 2 jars of jam, 1 jar of relish and 1 bottle of plum sauce to a friend.
* Donated a bag of unwanted goods to Savers and received a 20% off discount voucher.
* Turned power points off when not in use. I try to check them on a regular basis.
* Saved water from our drink bottles and poured it into our watering can on the deck. This is used to water pot plants and mandarin trees.
* Finished 6 greeting cards at our card making day last Saturday.
* Knitted 5 dish cloths. I'm getting ready to sell lots of goodies for Mother's Day.
|Handmade male greeting cards|
|Handmade female greeting cards|
|Some garden produce|
|Homegrown cherry tomatoes and raspberries|
|Cooking the tomatoes to make lasagne sauce|
How have you saved money this week ?
What's growing in your garden right now ?