I never know how my thrifty week will look. There are so many ways to save money that no week is ever the same. We sure do get variety in the Gower Abundant Cottage.
Here's is my thrifty list -
* Picked large spinach leaves from the garden to put in a chicken and veggie flan. The veggies were leftover from dinner the night before.
* Made a big pot of chunky chicken and veg soup from stock I'd made in the slow cooker. The chicken used was 1.7kg that I purchased on clearance for $3.40. So far I've stretched that chicken for 23 serves.
* Used recycled bread bags as bin liners for our bathroom bin.
* Pulled up the last of my eyeliner from the retractable tube to get every last bit.
* Picked lemons from our tree.
* Sold an 80's style snow suit / overalls on Marketplace. They were mine when I was about 15 years old.
* Filled the thermos with boiling water each day and used it for our cuppas or dinner preparations.
* Made a car air freshener with cotton balls and essential oils.
* Cleaned / descaled the kettle with citric acid. It always amazes me how clean it looks afterwards.
* Baked three loaves of wholemeal bread with extra goodness.
* Baked two chocolate brownies at the same time by doubling the recipe. I have two functions I'm helping to cater for over the next couple of weeks so it was easy to get them done this way. I'll be freezing them until needed. Once baked I popped the bread in the oven while it was still hot.
* Picked up a few meat bargains at the supermarket. The crumbed steaks in the picture below wouldn't scan so a staff member put it through for me. She accidently put it through for $1 instead of $1.80 and looked at and said " oh well ".
* Saved washing machine water, shower warm up water and water from our drink bottles to reuse where possible.
* Reused saved plastic from bunches of flowers to wrap a birthday present. The bow in the picture below is made from a cut up sheer curtain purchased from a op shop years ago.
|The mandarins are almost ready|
|The broccoli is growing|
|We are picking spinach for our meals|
|Presents with recycled wrapping and bows|
|A little bit of color in the garden|
Here's the link to my chocolate brownie recipe Chocolate brownie
Here's the link to my chunky chicken and veg soup Chunky chicken and veg soup
Here's the link to my bread recipe Wholemeal bread with extra goodness