Saturday 9 July 2022

This Week's Frugal Tasks Saturday 9th July 2022

Melbourne gave us a couple of days of delightful sunshine and milder weather.  I enjoyed some time outside pruning,  weeding,  pulling wayward grass and checking over the broccoli crop for caterpillars ( just a couple were munching away ).  The sun certainly lifts my spirits when we are in the middle of Winter.

Here's what I got up to this week -  


*  Baked three loaves of wholemeal bread with extra goodness.

*  Baked lots of choc chip biscuits for our morning / afternoon teas.  I used dough I'd made and frozen a few months ago.

*  Fed lots of bread crusts,  weeds and grass to the chickens.

*  Made up a bottle of surface spray with diluted dishwashing liquid and cooled boiled water.

*  Used our solar lanterns at night time instead of turning on a lamp.

*  Made soap from scratch.  This is the first time in well over a year.  I went all out and added fragrance and color and  I'm so happy with the end result.  Now I need to wait 4 weeks for them to cure before I try it.

*  Collected 3 eggs this week.  We have one freeloading chicken and the other has been off the lay since Summer.    This is the reason why we have been feeding them more kitchen scraps instead of just chicken feed to help save money..

*  Poured all the little bottles of shampoo and conditioner ( from hotels ) into our big bottles in the shower.

*  Gratefully received lots of cooked bbq sausages leftover from an event.  I turned them into 2 pots of sausage casserole  

*  Dried the washing outside on clothes horses when the sun was shining.  

*  Saved drink bottle water and poured it on pot plants outside on our deck.

*  Megan came over and cooked 2 chicken dinners last night.  All the leftovers were portioned out into takeaway containers.  Megan took some home for herself and the rest went into my freezer.

*  Fed the compost bin with kitchen scraps and cardboard.


Handmade soap with swirls



Using them up.

Sausage casserole

Biscuit dough in the freezer

Choc chip biscuits

How did you save time,  money and / or energy this week ?


8 comments:

  1. I make and sell goats milk soap. They sell really well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you share the recipe for your sausage casserole please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's in the recipe section on my blog http://myabundantlife07.blogspot.com/2015/04/curried-sausage-casserole.html

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful inspiration you are. Thank you for sharing and for being a blessing. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy, do you fully defrost the biscuit dough and then roll it into balls to make your biscuits (cookies)?
    Janine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janine, I have been known to put the dough in the microwave for 24 seconds to mostly defrost it . If I have time I've also taken it from the freezer and defrosted it on the bench for an hour.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing Wendy. I hope everyone is warm and well at the Gower household. Your soap looks great. Packaged with your pretty face washers, they would make a lovely gift. I see they are your signature apple green too.
    I ended up with Covid and have been resting for nearly a week now. When I felt I could read, I ventured back through some of your old posts, for fun and inspiration. So many great tips. I am grateful to you and this blog for practical advice that helped us reach our financial goals. I missed a weeks work, without pay, as I’m a contractor, but we have savings to keep us sustained. It’s such a relief not to be living week to week, with the worry of debt and mounting bills to pay. YAY!
    Take Care. Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear you haven't been well Rachel. I hope your health improves quickly.
      I thought I'd try the green in the soap first ( as it's my favourite color ) with a lemon fragrance. I'm trying pink next with a cherry blossom fragrance.

      Delete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.