Saturday 6 May 2023

This Week's Frugal Tasks Saturday 6th May 2023

As the weather cools down,  I've been concentrating on tasks inside the home.  The last couple of weeks I've been cooking bigger meals at night to fill up one of our freezers.  It only takes me an extra 10 minutes or so to cut up more veggies and a couple of minutes to portion the cooked food into containers to freeze.

Here's what else I've been up to -

*  Picked feijoas from under the tree every day this week.  Feijoas would have to be my all time favourite fruit to eat ( and I'm not a big fruit eater ).  My grandparents had a big tree in their front yard for decades and we always enjoyed  getting a big box of the the fruit to take home when I was younger..

*  Made a big pot of lamb and veggie soup using a lamb neck that was given to us last year.  We enjoyed the soup for dinner and the rest went into the freezer.

*  Used our solar lanterns every night after dinner.

*  Cleaned the kettle using citric acid.  It come up looking like new.

*  Last Sunday was the one year anniversary of my Dad's passing.  I picked chrysanthemums from our garden in Dad's favourite color ( deep red / maroon ) and added a few feijoa branches to the bouquet ( Dad loved feijoas too ).  This bouquet was placed at his memorial site.

*  Found a birthday present,  a container to store muffin patty cases and a kids ride on toy at Savers op shop.  I used a 20% discount voucher to get the items cheaper ( a few dollars each ).

*  I defrosted a bag of baked choc chip cookies from the freezer to have for work and morning tea snacks.

*  Donated 2 bags of unwanted items to Savers and received 2 x 20% discount coupons.  As I mentioned above,  I've already redeemed one voucher.

*  Made a big pot of spag bol sauce and used TVP,  grated carrot and the last bit of cauliflower to stretch the sauce out.  From 750g of mince I got 16 single serves of meat sauce.  We had some for dinner that night and the rest went into the freezer as single and double serves.   

*  Gratefully received a bag of glass jars from a friend.  They will b e used for jam making and pantry food storage. 

*  Mended Luka's Paw Patrol soft toy before the hole got too big.

 

Gifted jars.

Flowers from our garden

Mending a Paw Patrol toy

Feijoas from our tree

Lamb and veg soup for the freezer.

LINKS

Spaghetti Bolognaise

Choc Chip Bickies ( Cookies )

Cleaning Your Kettle


How did you save time,  money or energy this week ?


8 comments:

  1. Those are lovely jars Wendy! You did well! The first anniversary is very hard. Each one is but the first is the worst. Many hugs.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard of feijoa before. I have just looked them up and they do sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Feijoas are native to new Zealand. If you talk to a Kiwi, they are likely to have heard of them or tasted them. They are delicious but need to be on the tart side. I cut them in half and scoop the flesh out.

      Delete
  3. Hi Wendy.
    your lamb and vegie soup looks like the perfect dinner on a cold night. Is it similar to Scotch Broth? I bought some pearl barley yesterday and want to use some in a soup this week.
    Your recent posts have inspired me to make bigger evening meals and freeze the extra portions. In the past week I have made chicken & vegie soup, pumpkin soup, bolognese sauce and chicken cacciatore. I have some portions of each in the freezer.
    Have a good week.
    Cheers, Maria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maria. Well done on cooking extra food and freezing some. It's handy for days when you don't want to cook or emergencies.
      I'm not sure what scotch broth is but I used little bits of lamb off the neck bone, a tin of tomatoes, soup mix ( the one with pearl barley in it ), lots of veggies and seasonings.

      Delete
    2. It is similar, but scotch broth wouldn’t have had the tomatoes as it was a winter dish and tomatoes are a summer crop. Basically it was lamb, pearl barley or soup mix and vegetables like parsnip, turnip , Swede, potato. Nice and filling and tasty.

      Delete
  4. II have to smile about the toy repair. Between us mumandI have been sewing a much loved black bear together that is about 22 years old. My youngest loved this bear and now her daughter snuggles him if she needs a special cuddle and mummy is busy.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.