Ice cube trays are not just for water. They have many uses that can save you money and reduce food wastage. Here are five uses for you to try -
* Freezing lemon juice. When your lemon tree has abundant fruit, juice the lemons and freeze the juice. If someone offers you a bag of lemons, it as a blessing. You may never need to buy lemon juice in a bottle again.
* Freeze tomato paste. Have you ever opened a jar of tomato paste to only use a tablespoon or two ? Usually the contents need to be used in a few days. By portioning the paste into ice cube trays you are eliminating waste. When cooking spag bol or other tomato based dishes, pop a tomato paste cube into the dish for added flavour.
* Chopped fresh herbs freeze well when a little bit of water is added to the mix and frozen into cubes.
* Make coffee ice cubes for your iced coffee. There's nothing worse than normal ice cubes watering down your iced coffee. This idea is great for using up left over coffee from the pot.
* Freeze yoghurt into cubes to add to your smoothie. This is a wonderful idea for using up yoghurt before it goes off.
|Tomato paste portioned.|
|Lemon juice has so many uses.|