Sometimes we waste electricity without realising it. I'm hoping these tips will get you thinking about ways to use less and keep more money in your pocket.
* Turn your dishwasher off when the cycle has finished. Even better, give your plates and saucepans a quick scour then use the quick wash cycle which usually takes about 30 minutes to clean everything. I've cleaned many homes over the years and either see dishwashers on a 120 minute cycle or they are left turned on all day.
* Use one lamp in the lounge areas when the family is gathered to watch tv. Even better, have no lights on and pretend you are at the movies.
* When and where possible, replace old energy saving light globes for LED globes. They do cost a little more but last so much longer and use far less electricity.
* Defrost meat in the fridge instead of using the microwave. The fridge is already on so you may as well make the most of it. A large roast generally takes 2 days in the fridge to defrost. Pieces of meat like chicken drumsticks, steak or single serves of meals take1 day to defrost so plan accordingly. This is also a food safety tip that reduces the risk of food poisoning if you defrost your food on a kitchen bench.
* Turn your washing machine and dryer off at the wall when the cycle has finished. Even better, invest in a clothes horse / rack and dry your clothes for free.