It's been way too cold here in Melbourne over the last week or two. Too cold to spend much time outside. We did manage to get the bare essentials done like watering pot plants, feeding the chickens and picking broccoli.
Our lockdown ended yesterday and although we can now travel 25 km from home, the weather is too cold and we are not allowed to visit anyone. So home it is, with the heater on and at times under a blanket. Maybe I could do a little tidying in the craft room or here's a thought - start crafting again.
Here's what else we got up to this week -
* Picked lots of lemons. I like to bring them inside and let them rest for a week before juicing. I do tend to get more juice by doing this. I did juice lemons that were a few weeks old and froze the juice. Darren and I also pruned the tree after discovering a few small patches of gall wasp.
* A couple of silverbeet seeds finally germinated after weeks of waiting. To protect them from snails, pests and the wild storm Melbourne experience this week, I placed a plastic drink bottle over the seedlings.
* While in the city with my parents last week I made quite a few apron cards. It was a wonderful way to spend all the spare hours I had on Wednesday. It also kept my mind off the news and further lockdown announcements.
* Made homemade pizza for dinner one night. Leftovers were eaten for lunch the next day. Although we rarely eat takeaway, I'll be honest, I've been craving it during lockdown. I'm only human !!
* Gratefully received a cooked chicken from a family member. From the chicken I made enough stock to make 16 single serves of chunky chicken soup. I also made potato, chicken and veg pasta bake that serves 4. There was enough meat to go into the freezer for another 3 meals that will give us another 6 - 8 serves.
* My mascara was getting a little dry. So I put one drop of water in the bottle ( is that what they call it ? ) and gave the brush a good swish around. I've done this two weeks running and it's like the mascara has been given a new lease on life.
* Baked ANZAC biscuits from dough I had in the freezer. I baked them while I was cooking a chicken, potato pasta bake one night.
* Darren picked kale to put in the chicken potato pasta bake. Our silverbeet needs a little rest and time to regrow more leaves.
* Gave the washing machine a deep clean with Epsom salts and very hot water. It's amazing how much gunk comes out.
* Saved shower water and washing machine water as per usual.
* I only opened the curtains a small amount on the cold days to keep the house warmer.
* Got 6 serves from the family meat pie I made the other night. Usually I get 4 - 5 serves but we've reduced our serving sizes just a little and added more veg to the plate.
Here are the apron cards I made. I'm hoping to make gardening and bbq ones soon.
|Lemons from the garden.|