As our lockdown continues in Victoria, I've stayed away from the shops for another week. I feel blessed to have the knowledge and foresight to constantly have a stockpile we can live off for quite a long time.
On Monday my Dad was granted permission from the government for his scheduled eye surgery to still go ahead on Wednesday. Mum, Dad and myself stayed in the city for two nights while Dad had his surgery and check ups. Everything went smoothly with the surgery, accommodation and travelling. It was a bit eerie to see the city so quiet yet it gave us a sense of calm.
Here's what else we managed to fit into our unusual week -
* Picked, blanched and froze 4 broccoli heads from our garden. There are another 3 - 4 heads I'll be picking in the next couple of days and more to follow shortly after.
* Planted 3 potatoes that were sprouting in my pantry. I'm not sure if they'll grow into productive plants due to the time of the year. At least they were free and too soft to peel and cook.
* Darren pruned our raspberry plants. This might not sound like a frugal task but 2 years ago we didn't get a chance to prune due to family traumas we were going through at the time. Later that year our plants didn't produce as much as they usually do. I rely on these plants for enough fruit to make lots of raspberry jam.
* Made a bottle of surface spray using dishwashing liquid and water. I use this all around our home for cleaning.
* Made and sold a 2 litre bottle of Miracle Spray for a friend.
* Picked silverbeet, lettuce and kale from our garden to eat at mealtimes.
* Packed all the food I needed for my 2 days in the city. Dinners were freezer meals of leftovers.
* Saved shower water and washing machine water as per usual.
* Made another 4 litres of laundry liquid from the big bucket I made a few months ago.
* Decanted and diluted a couple of bottles of shower gel into a large pump bottle. Pump bottles make it much easier to ' portion control '.
* Darren picked more mandarins and oranges from Megan's tree.
|Daisies in the garden|
|We love color.|
|Decanting homemade laundry liquid.|