Wednesday 8 May 2019

Cleaning On A Budget

Having a clean home is important to me. When my home is clean and tidy, everything is right in my world. My mind is at peace and I can relax knowing that if anyone showed up unexpectedly I wouldn't be embarrassed or be shoving things in cupboards out of sight.


Having a clean home doesn't have to drain the food budget. Yes, the few cleaning products I buy are included in my small food budget. As a hired domestic cleaner of over 20 years, I've learnt that the fancy cleaning products are not necessary to keep a home clean. More than anything, they are toxic, expensive and a complete waste of space ( and money ).


Microfibre cloths are a great invention. I use the cheap version at home and work. They last for years and reduce the need for chemicals.


Miracle Spray is the best cleaning product I've come by. It's great for cleaning showers, toilets, sinks, floors, stoves, laundry stains and carpet stains. I'll be forever grateful to Joyofquilting  from The Cheapskates Club for sharing her recipe.  It's changed my life, my health and my budget. For about $1 you can make up a large 2 litre bottle.


Bleach is used every few months to keep the shower grout looking clean.


A small dash of disinfectant is used in the washing if the clothes are smelly.

Mirrors only need to be cleaned with water and a microfibre cloth for glass.  


Floors are cleaned with vinegar, detergent and boiling water. Or you can just use boiling water. 


It's worth having a think about the cleaning products you have in your home. Do they really work as well as the advertising claims ? Is it worth the money ?  Could a bar of soap do the same job as the expensive products.




How do you keep your home clean ?

9 comments:

  1. Debby in Kansas, USA8 May 2019 at 06:22

    I'm using another homemade cleaning solution, but have really been wanting to try the Miracle Cleaner. I keep looking around for an American translation of liquid amounts!!! Pathetic, I know, but math is a nightmare for me. I might have to find me a school aged kid to translate for me lol!!!

    My favorite shower scouring recipe is warmed vinegar mixed with Dawn dishwashing soap. Once over the shower stall, I add baking soda and it bubbles over. I pour it all over and use a deck brush to spread it all around. I let it sit for a couple of hours, but go in every hour or so to brush around. With very little effort, it does a banner job of cleaning the shower. I can't remember who posted that recipe, but it was sure a back and hand saver!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debby. You can Google metric conversions to help you. I do this for your imperial measurements for American recipes.

      Delete
    2. Some measuring cups have the metric measurements.

      Delete
  2. I do not have any clean and tidy genes. Everyday I face the household tasks with a huge sense of overwhelm. To make matters worse my mother calls me to her many times during each task and generally it is something so trivial I could scream. Then from her chair or whatever she points out even more things for me to deal with.

    I keep on trying. I do sue soap powder in my washing but depending on the load I use half the amount recommended and ours is a 14 kg machine. Mum doesn't like green cleaners but I purchase them regardless. When her help was told to use vinegar only the ruckus was immense. I now use a small splash of bleach to give her the smell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzan maybe you need to let your Mum know you are busy for a certain time and put the timer on so she knows she can't interrupt

      Delete
  3. Hi Wendy, after following your tips and advice, I switched to using shower gel / liquid to reduce soap scum and clean the shower with miracle spray. It's been a life changer. I used to use jif and bleach then I'd scrub. The fumes were horrible. I do spray the shower with a spray bottle of 1 part bleach (normal bleach from Aldi) and 4 parts water every month or so to keep the mould down. So easy!!
    I've also started treating the underarm smell of the sports shirts with diluted vinegar. It works well. I use miracle spray and a bit of oxy powder on stains. Treat and leave overnight. Stains and smells are gone!
    I haven't been buying cleaners for a long time and I'm loving it! Thanks so much for sharing Wendy! Rachel:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't relax in a messy or dirty home. I wipe the shower down after every use with a microfibre and never need chemicals. I use miracle spray a lot and vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Wendy, really enjoying all am learning on your site. I am in USA and wondered what you mean by 'disinfectant' - i.e. used in washing clothes. Thank you, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Australia our main one is called Pine O Cleen. I think your version is called Pine Sol ( the original one ) household cleaner disinfectant.

      Delete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.